Wednesday, August 6, 2008

People puppets

My friend Nicole is an art teacher and I've been begging her to give me some ideas for this site and she came through! MUAH to Nicole! So, now that I've kissed her feet, let's have her tell her side of the story.

Supplies you'll need:
Glue stick
Magazines (kids ones work best she says)
construction paper
scissors

I have a nifty little project I just did the last week when babysitting an 8 year old and two 4 year olds. The kids spent 30 minutes working on creating their people puppets. Basically, use construction paper and magazines. Kiddie mags work great. I cut a circle and triangle out of construction paper for the 4 year olds. They of course choose the colors. The circle was the head and the triangle is the body. (We all know that preschool kids will place the arms and legs out of the head if given the chance, this is normal) This activity helps with body recognition and placement. The kids will flip through the magazine to find eyes or noses or hair and place accordingly. Or they can create their own from other construction paper. As you can see the variety is hysterical.....The eight year old really liked combining different images from different people. ***Note if you really want the 4 year olds to stay engaged...give them googly eyes. Kids love googly eyes!



Nicole

Enjoy!

D

No comments: