Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pour some more sugar on me...

I'm back to using my little Domino cinnamon/sugar shaker. My mom came over last night for her birthday dinner and we made these for her. They're cinnamon/sugar chips made from tortillas. It's a great snack and you can even make them from whole wheat tortillas or any other flavor for that matter. I'll have some other variations for you at the end of this post.

Here's what you'll need:

Cinnamon/Sugar combo (make yourself or buy the little shaker pictured below for $0.99 - go ahead, buy it - help the economy, you can use it over again to hold glitter for your kids art projects)
Tortillas (I used 6, but use as many as you'd like)
Water
Pizza Cutter
Pastry Brush
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

2. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray with non stick spray.

3. Use the pizza cutter to cut the tortillas into 1/8ths. Wow, Mrs. Burrell (my 5th grade teacher), did you see that? I ACTUALLY used fractions. You were right, I would need them when I grew up - who would've thought.

4. Lay out your wedges on your baking sheet - it's kinda like doing those tanagram thingies.

5. Use your pastry brush to brush a little water on each wedge. You don't need much, just enough so that the cinnamon/sugar sticks.
6. Sprinkle on your cinnamon/sugar.

7. Bake for about 8-10 minutes. Just enough to see the edges brown and get crisp.
Variations: I dipped mine in a chilled chocolate fondue (if you want the recipe, email me), but on any flavor tortillas you could sprinkle taco seasoning and use cheese for dipping. You could sprinkle oregano and parmesan cheese and use marinara for dipping. You could sprinkle some garlic and parmesan cheese and use hummus as a dip. Or you could just brush with melted butter with a little salt and pepper and use any dip you want.
These are great homemade chips without a lot of fuss and the kids LOVE the fact that they helped make them.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Y-U-M! i am definetly going to have to try these! thanks for the great recipe!

be sure to swing by and enter to win the weekly giveaway this weekend!

Unknown said...

HA! thanks for entering to win, and i LOVE your mural idea :) i must agree, that does sound nice, but i don't think my husband would enjoy opening his eyes to that in the morning!!!