Monday, June 30, 2008

Bathtub Paint

I admit it...I had quite a bit of fun making this project today. My 18th month old was asleep so my 4 year old and I had some mommy time together, so we decided to make bathtub paint. Sure, you can go down to your local superstore and buy some (my big deep dark secret is that I love to "rollback" - I have a little WalMart addiction), but you probably have everything you need already at home to make your own.


Here's what you'll need:

1/4 cup of Kid's Bath Soap

1 tablespoon of Cornstarch

2-4 drops of food coloring

Small cups or a plastic ice cube tray

See that big tupperware container? Yeah, that last name on it isn't mine - it's my best friends'. It's from the chicken noodle soup that she made for me whenever I had a baby...my first baby to be exact...almost 5 years ago. I just loved that soup so much I wanted to keep her favorite tupperware container forever so that I would never forget her. Honestly, I just don't want to give it back. I love it's size and I can't find that size anywhere, so if you're my best friend and you're reading this...you're never getting your tupperware back.

Okay, now back to the soap. I used the measurements above for each color. Meaning that I made 3 seperate batches. One for red, one for yellow and one for blue. Sure, I could've used green and purple food coloring to make 2 more, but instead I decided to be a teacher today and talk about how mixing certain colors make other colors. And when we did our first color mix of red and yellow to make orange - he lit up like a Christmas tree. He'd seen it on Barney but had never done it himself. For the red, it took 4 drops of food coloring, the yellow was 2 and the blue was 3. Of all the things in life you need to learn - I think mixing colors and making new ones are at the top of the list of "The Most Important Things You Should Know". No, that's not a real book that I know of. I'm sure some of you will go to Amazon.com and tell me - but if not, let's write one...all of us. I'll invite you over for coffee and we'll write our own book!

Oh, soap, that's right. As you can see in the picture below is our completed soaps. I put them in the tupperware so that I could put a few paintbrushes in and store it in the bathroom. Btw, if you're using little dixie cups like me, double up so they don't get flimsy on you.


Let me know what you think - enjoy!

D

No comments: